Skip to main content

Summary Draft 2

The article "Drones May Become 'The Next Big Thing' In Healthcare Delivery", written by Balasubramanian (2022), introduces the uses and impact drones have on the healthcare sector. 

According to a real-life case study by European Heart Journal (2021), the successful delivery rate of drones to Out-of-Hospital cardiac arrest patients was 92%. Through the advancement of drone technology, medical supplies such as Automated External Defibrillators (AED) will be able to arrive in a timely manner. According to CISION PR Newswire (2022), when an elderly in Sweden suffered from cardiac arrest in December 2021, it took just over three minutes for an AED to be swiftly delivered from the time the alarm sounded. Due to this timely out-of-hospital save, the elderly is fully recovered today. 

Besides the utilization for delivery purposes, drones are also equipped with cameras and display screens for virtual communication between healthcare professionals resolving access-to-care and hard-to-reach patient issues which have been affecting modern-day healthcare.

With the promising future drones have, many sectors such as retail and military are also testing and researching to cater to their needs. With more users, the cost of drone technology will drop and this creates opportunities for more healthcare organizations to utilize drones at a more advanced stage and cheaper rate. 

References

Sai Balasubramanian (2022, Jan 9). Drones May Become 'The Next Big Thing' In Healthcare Delivery.

Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/saibala/2022/01/09/drones-may-become-the-next-big-thing-in-healthcare-delivery/?sh=9357ddd1e9b3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descriptive Reflection: Self-introduction Letter

Dear Professor Brad My name is Michelle Tan and I am composing this introductory letter in hope that it allows you to get to know me better. I am currently pursuing engineering, at the Singapore Institute of Technology, as a Year 1 student under the sponsorship of the Singapore Armed Forces. Before furthering my degree, I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic studying biomedical engineering, and was working as an Army engineer in the military. During my three years in the army, I ensured operationally ready armored tanks for combatants. I was tasked to repair faulty components, perform onsite maintenance (solving minor faults outfield without towing), and preventive maintenance of armaments such as mortars and guns. These experiences contributed to the development of my analytical skills for fault diagnosis and critical problem-solving skills for efficient onsite repairs to prevent delays in the training schedule. I chose to study engineering as it is a platform where I can put my sk

The Importance of Communication Skills

Our understanding from Sherwyn Morreale, Michael Osborn & Judy Pearson, Professors of Communication (2000)'s quotation (3): Paul J Meyer gave a similar quote that  "Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success.” Through these quotes, we derived that the importance of being competent at work revolves equal weightage between technical competency and communication.  How employers identify if graduates are able to communicate effectively would first be during the interviews, where there are forced to articulate their thoughts on the spot and present themselves. This proves if they have leadership through the confidence in their speech and teamwork as they interact with intellectual humility. As one have both of these skills, they will be able to obtain employment.  Being able to express their thoughts verbally and work through different points of view and arguments, one would significantly heighten their intellectual empathy. This would in t

Critical Reflection

Module Learning At the start of the course, we were tasked to write up a descriptive reflection where I set my goals for the course to be improvement in two-way communication and writing skills with regards to tone and phrasing.  What impacted me the most was the Paul-Elder Framework where it educate me on the standards I should adopt when portraying an idea or even when working in a team. In this case, I usually will ask myself these questions for example: Do I have Intellectual Empathy? Am I having prejudice towards the idea or even the person that's why I am disagreeing with their viewpoint? Am I listening and understanding to my group mates' point of view and sharing? By thinking before I act out, I am able to clearly and accurately illustrate the idea I am sharing and also this gives time for my team mates to share their ideas too. This ticks the checkbox for the portion of wanting to improve my two-way communication skills because I give my team mates opportunities to sha